What are we calling for?
We are calling for the government to introduce hate crime legislation immediately, to protect people from various minorities in Ireland.
We want to help break the silence on hate crime, encourage people to report racism and other hate attacks and to find effective ways to address it.
The YES Equality campaign was an amazing show of public support for equality in Ireland. We want our government to take the next step, and protect those among us who are perceived to be different because of our skin colour, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, different physical or mental abilities and so on.
Introducing hate crime legislation would place us among the majority of countries in the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), the European and common law countries. It would help Ireland meet its European Union and International obligations.
We need to send a clear message that racism and hate have no place in our communities and that our society should be inclusive of all. We must break the silence on hate crime, encourage people to report it, and find effective ways to address all forms of racism and prejudice. This legislation can help to achieve that.
Watch our LOVE NOT HATE video
What can you do to help this campaign
There is many things you can do to help us either online from a comfort of your own home or by getting more actively involved. Every help is more than welcome!
As an organisation
- Endorse Love Not Hate campaign. Click here to find out how to do that and see the official list of Endorsers to date.
Online and on social media:
- Watch and share our campaign video.
- Sign and share our petition on social media. Send it to your friends and colleagues by email. Encourage others to do the same.
- You can also download Love Not Hate petition – paper version and collect signatures in your school, college, work, place of worship etc. Return signed sheets to us via email, if scanned (firstname.lastname@example.org), or by post or in person (ENAR Ireland, 28 North Great George’s St, Dublin 1). Remember: every signature counts!
- Join the conversation. Use #LoveNotHate hashtag on social media.
- Put politicians under pressure. Involve them in the conversation about hate crime. Tag them in your tweets about the campaign. Email them.
- Print out the Love Not Hate image, take a photo with your friends and/or colleagues and post it on your social media using #LoveNotHate hashtag (or email it to us).
- Share our campaign posts on Facebook, Twitter and other online media.
- Report racist incidents to www.iReport.ie – these help show the need for hate crime legislation.
Where you live, work or study:
- Help us collect the petition signatures across Ireland. Download the paper version of the petition or circulate it by
email to people you know. Every signature counts as the more we are the stronger voice we get! Contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
- Give or send our Love_Not_Hate_brochure to at least 5 friends. Display it in your office, school, place of worship etc. You can order more leaflets from us!
- Talk to people about the campaign and it’s call. You may be surprised how many people think that Ireland already has hate crime laws.